Lands of Anaris

A territory cut by the mythical Eume River, in the last European Atlantic forest

Convento de San Agustín

Convento de San Agustín

Un convento que fue cárcel, escuela y cuartel

Founded outside the walls of the town of Pontedeume by Don Fernán Pérez de Andrade in 1538 under the name of Santa María de la Gracia, it was closed in 1835 due to the disentailment laws. From the time of its foundation, one wing of the Renaissance cloister is preserved, while the current main facade is Baroque, from the second half of the 18th century.

Between 1842 and 1848, it functioned as a barracks and school. In 1848, it was auctioned and passed into private hands until the 1980s when it was acquired by the City Council, becoming the House of Culture. The church, which was not auctioned, was demolished in 1867 to open Rajoy Avenue, while the garden was purchased in 1864 from the private individual who had bought it, becoming known as Alameda de Rajoy and serving for a long time as a field for the livestock fair.