Lands of Anaris

A territory cut by the mythical Eume River, in the last European Atlantic forest

Chapel of Carmel

Chapel of Carmel

It is the chapel of the patron saint of As Pontes, the Virgin of Carmel.

The present-day chapel of Carmel was built in 1738 to substitute a prior temple were St Mary Magdalene was worshipped; this small temple was located behind the current chapel, and its dilapidated state gave it the name of "Chapel of Spiders".

The new chapel started to be built in 1736 and was paid by Blas Santomé y Aguiar, and dedicated to the Virgin of Carmel, who was worshipped at that time in As Pontes. The statue of the virgin was donated in 1872 by a devout family of As Pontes and the altarpiece, where the statue is, was made by Manuel Baño.